HP 51606A Cartridge
Many different HP Printers, particularly the Paintjet Series
The ink in this cartridge is retained because the cartridge has an internal
Step 1) Put the cartridge on some paper towels in an area where you
can tolerate a spill.
Step 2) Locate the vent hole(s) on top of the cartridge. These may or may not
Step 3) Drill out these vent holes with a #55 or 1/16th inch drill bit to
allow the syringe needle to pass. If your cartridge doesn't have vent holes,
then drill a hole centered above each color chamber. Be sure to rinse your
drill bit after each hole to avoid contaminating the next chamber with the
Step 4) While working with one color, seal the other holes with tape to
prevent accidental contamination. Use an empty syringe needle or a toothpick
to determine which color is in which chamber.
Step 5) Inject the ink deep into the cartridge. The black cartridge holds about
12 ml of ink (1/3 of a syringe bottle), while each color chamber only holds
about 8 ml (1/4 of a syring bottle). Insert the needle fully and inject the
ink S-L-O-W-L-Y to avoid forming air bubbles in the sponge. Gradually withdraw
the needle as you inject to saturate the whole sponge.
Step 6) Remove the tape.
Step 7) Set above a paper towel for an hour as a drip precaution. Expect a few
drips. Do not let the printhead touch the paper towel, or the ink will be drawn
out of the cartridge.
Step 8) For best results, let set overnight to allow the ink to fully soak
To Clean the Printhead
- Only clean the printhead if you get poor print quality or no print.
- Be sure that you don't have an air bubble problem.
- If cleaning the printhead causes the situation to get worse rather
than improve, you probably have an air bubble problem.
- If you have an air bubble problem, you need to re-inject some ink
very deep into the cartridge.
- Follow the directions in the printer manual to run the cleaning routine.
- If this doesn't work, take the cartridge to the nearest hot water faucet.
- Turn on the hot water. Let it get hot.
- Put only the printhead portion (where the ink comes out) under the hot
water for 2 to 3 seconds
- Dry off the cartridge using a soft tissue.
- Re-insert the cartridge into the printer.
- Run the normal cleaning routine a few times.
- If this doesn't work, soak only the printhead in simmering water for
up to 2 hours. You may add up to 50 percent ammonia for really tough clogs.
To Clean Your Sink
The ink is water-soluble. Use plenty of soap and warm water. You may also
need to use Comet or a similar cleaner if the stains persist.
To Clean Your Hands
On hands, the best substance to use is
Ink Be GoneTM, a
specially developed hand cleaner available from ACSI Bulk Inks.
(To place an order, Click Here.)
To Place An Ink Order
You can telephone us at 1-888-728-2465 (USA Tollfree) or 1+740-374-9949. You
can also Order Online
or by other ways including
by Fax, or by
Postal Mail, or by
Copyright © 1999, Automation Consulting & Supply, Inc.
Contact us at 1-304-622-5086 or email us at
Main Ink Page |
Other Refill Instructions and Help |